Step by Step Instructions
- Click on the Zoom link you’ve been provided and then follow the prompts, or
- Go to https://zoom.us/join and enter the Meeting ID that you have been provided (the Meeting ID will be a 9 or 10 digit number). Some meetings may also require a password. This will be noted in the meeting information.
Using a mobile device
If you want to use your mobile device (Android smartphone/tablet, Apple iPhone/iPad), click on the meeting link you’ve been provided and you will be prompted to download the ZOOM app from your devices app store (free app). Once you download the app, open in, click Join Meeting button and enter the Meeting ID.
Using a computer
If joining from a computer and it’s the first time you’ve accessed ZOOM from this computer, you will be prompted to download a small file (watch the video above to see an example of how this will work). This process is easy to complete on all commonly used browsers.
Enter your display name
Just before entering the meeting you will be prompted to enter a display name. This name is simply to identify you in the meeting; it will be displayed for other participants to see.
You will be prompted to choose how you want to join the audio for the meeting. You may either
- Join by computer audio if you want to use the speakers attached to or included in your computer. (TIP: check the “Automatically join audio by computer…” option, and you won’t get prompted again in the future.) Or,
- Join by telephone if you are unable to join from Zoom on a computer or mobile device.
If you are comfortable with it, enable your video so other participants can see your face. You can do this on the bottom bar in the ZOOM room (see video above for details.) You may also shut your video off at this same location on your screen if you need to go off-camera during the gathering.You will be able to see others who are on video on the call even if you do not have your video set to ON.
Unmuting and Muting
- You may automatically be set to “Mute” upon entering the ZOOM room. Be sure to turn your sound on your computer and click the Mute/UnMute option on the button bar of the ZOOM room (see video above for details.)
- If you have a headset with a microphone, wear it or, be sure to keep yourself on mute if you aren’t speaking so as to minimize background noise. You will be able to hear others on the call even if you are muted.